The government is welcoming the world’s worst human rights abusing regimes to shop for weapons in London. WHAT WILL YOU DO?
A massive arms fair is planned to take place in the UK in September 2013. The UK government plans to invite human rights abusing regimes, such as Algeria, Bahrain, Colombia, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam, to the London arms fair to court them and sell them weapons.
The US and UK will seek the next generation of weapons for their wars, while the arms companies aim to set the agenda for more exorbitant military spending.
The arms fair brings together 28,000 international buyers and sellers. The deals that begin here fuel the arms trade the world over. Death, injury, fear and repression are exported from the arms companies on our doorstep.
We can make a difference
When the fair took place in 2011, we challenged the opening night arms dealers’ reception at the National Gallery. One year later we put an end to an arms company’s sponsorship of the National Gallery.
Start taking action now!
- Email your MP to demand the government doesn’t welcome arms companies and human rights abusers to do business in London.
- Book a workshop on the arms fair for your town or campaign group.
- Find your nearest arms fair exhibitor and let them know that their business will not go unchallenged.
- Come along to the direct action training on 17 August.
Get in touch if you’d like help planning transport to London for the fair, or arranging somewhere to stay.
Take action to stop the arms fair
A massive week of action is planned from 7-14 September to expose the arms fair and make its business as difficult as possible. Put these dates in your diary now.
- Saturday 7th September, 2pm-5pm – Musical protest at the ExCeL centre
- Sunday 8 September – Huge protest as arms dealers arrive to try to set up at the fair (If you only do one thing, come to this protest, and bring your friends too!)
- Monday 9 September – Say no to the Game of Drones and a silent vigil
- Tuesday 10 September – Greet the arms dealers
- Wednesday 11 September – Laying a wreath for the victims of the arms trade
- Thursday 12 September – Don’t let them dine in peace!
…plus whatever exciting action you’d like to plan!